About Me

Glasgow, United Kingdom
My name is Lynsay, and I've decided to start blogging about the books I've been reading, so that I have reviews that I can look back on about the range of books and genres that I have read. I was very lucky to receive a Sony eReader for my birthday, and since then, I've been reading even more!! I read anything and everything, happy to give any style or genre a try!

Thursday 9 October 2014

What I'm Reading Now....

Hi all!
I thought I'd just post a quick update to let you know what I'm currently reading - in depth reviews to follow!


The Innocents, by Francesca Segal. I'm reading this for my book group, and really enjoying it! It was chosen by one of the other members,  and is about Jewish families in North West London.  Adam has been with Rachel for 13 years, and at the beginning of the story they've just gotten engaged.  However, Rachel's glamorous cousin Ellie appears on the scene, will she lead Adam into temptation or will he stay in his safe little cocoon of a life?


The Girl With All The Gifts, by M R Carey. This was a recommendation from a friend. The story focuses on Melanie, who lives in a locked down facility that's staffed by the army and scientists. She's kept locked up at all times and isn't told anything about the current world.  This is a good take on a common theme, but in all honesty, I've had to force myself to pick it up a few times, im finding the story to drag a bit in places and most of the characters are fairly unlikeable. I'm about 80% of the way though now so will definitely see it through to the end.


Red Or Dead, by David Peace. I've only read one other David Peace novel previously,  1974, which was good, but fairly harrowing, so I've still to return to the rest of that series. Red or Dead started being talked about on various media outlets quite a while ago. It could be seen as a companion book to The Damned United - the cover photo is the the same one on both books - and both are a type of fictional nonfiction.  A lot of the information is correct, but there's a lot of information which simply couldn't be known by the author. A lot of the buzz around this book regarded the writing style, which is extremely repetitive.  I thought I would find this irritating, but after the first page or two, it becomes extremely hypnotic. I am enjoying this book,  but I do find its taking me quite a while to read. I'd recommend it though, even to non football fans - it's an interesting read!

No comments:

Post a Comment